1716: Two heraldic eagles facing outwards flank the title of the Wienerisches Diarium.
1722: The double-headed eagle makes its first appearance.
1742: The Austrian arms are imposed on an escutcheon atop a shield quartering the Hungarian and Bohemian arms. At this time the Hapsburg monarch was Archduke of Austria, Apostolic King of Hungary, and King of Bohemia (to name only the more prominent of his titles).
1759: The doube-headed eagle bearing the Austrian arms presides over an elaborate vignette including a view of the imperial capital Vienna.
1762: A babe heralds in the new year on the left while old father time reclines on the right.
1766: Mercury and Cronus flank the imperial arms, surrounded by various instruments of learning.
1780: The newspaper adopts its current name of Wiener Zeitung, or “Vienna Newspaper”.
1807: The banner displays the full arms of the Hapsburg empire.
1916: In the midst of the Great War, the elaborate full Hapsburg arms give way to the simpler Austrian coat of arms.
12 November 1918: The edition of the 12th would have been prepared on the 11th, the day that the Blessed Emperor Charles declared he would no longer exercise his right to participate in government, while refusing to abdicate.
13 November 1918: Rebels have successfully declared a republic the previous day, the imperial eagle disappears from the banner of the Wiener Zeitung.
1934: The Austrian Republic eventually adopted arms of it’s own arms, a single-headed eagle wearing a civic (rather than imperial) crown, bearing a hammer and sickle representing the workers and farmers.
1934: Under Kurt Schuschnigg, the successor to the murdered Engelbert Dollfuss, new arms are adopted with halos (or nimbuses) around the eagle’s two heads to represent the sacred and Christian nature of the new regime established by Dollfuss.
Today: The Wiener Zeitung displays the arms of the current Austrian Republic.